I have an Org document I'm exporting to PDF through LaTeX using the
"report" class.

The two first top-level sections in the document, titled "About" and
"Introduction", are completely missing from the generated .tex and
PDF. The exported files start on the third section.

Coincidentally(?) those are the "front matter" sections which I don't
want included in the contents. However, I have done nothing to mark
them as such. They have no classes or properties. As far as I can tell
there is nothing making them different from other sections.

Any ideas why they might be elided by the LaTeX exporter in Org 7.5?

Follow-up: assuming I can get them to export at all, how can I mark
*just* those two headings to be exported using the "starred" form so
that they are not included in the chapter numbering?

Thanks,

--
Avdi Grimm
http://avdi.org