Thanks Michael, I'm glad you think it will be helpful. I have implemented
something like what you have requested here. I have hived this code off
into a separate file called org-player.el.

You can get it at:

http://bitbucket.org/eeeickythump/org-player/

I intend to add it to worg in the next little while.

Links can now contain times to start playback, as follows:

[[file:/path/to/song.mp3::2:43]]      Starts playback at 2 min 43 sec.
[[file:/path/to/song.mp3::1:10:45]]   Starts playback at 1 hr 10 min 45 sec.
[[file:/path/to/song.mp3::3m15s]]     Starts playback at 3 min 15 sec.
[[file:/path/to/song.mp3::49s]]       Starts playback at 0 min 49 sec.
[[file:/path/to/song.mp3::1h21m10s]]  Starts playback at 1 hr 21 min 10 sec.

As you see I have made XX:YY mean minutes and seconds, as it seems more
logical to me for this particular purpose. If there is a compelling reason
to interpret XX:YY as hours and minutes in these links then I am not totally
 opposed to changing it, but I think many people would find it confusing and
counterintuitive.

In all cases playback continues until the end of the file. I couldn't find
a way to implement playback of 'snippets' with a specified start and end
time, unfortunately.

Cheers
Paul