Hi Renzo,

org-icons needs to be moved into contrib/, hooked in via a lightweight patch
against org.el, instead of being implemented as a monolithic change to
org.el. I made a start on that in this branch:

https://github.com/dandavison/org-devel/tree/org-icons

but I'm not sure that I got very far. Note that that is a branch in a clone
of the org repo, as opposed to the org-icons repos which are standalone
repos and do not contain org.

I thought org-icons was interesting because it offers the possibility of
allowing users to make arbitrary superficial changes to org aesthetics. For
example, the #+begin_src...#+end_src boilerplate is rather heavy for some
peoples' tastes. At one point I had it replacing that with a little (ruby,
snake) for (ruby, python) code... But I think it also allows the possibility
of overlaying with text. I'd be happy to give you push access to that repo,
but, you may as well just fork it as I have no plans to work on it.

I don't know how to contact Nicolas. I believe that he is on record as
saying he did not plan to develop org-icons further.

Good luck,

Dan