Hi Bernt,

thanks a lot for your advice. Sorry, but it took some time until I found the time for trying it. I think I understood how it works. Below I just have some minor questions.

Is this to help limit you to that time per week or for estimating?

Indeed I was interested in limiting the time that I spend on some task.

For limiting you can set up something like this:

* STARTED Some task
    ^^^^^^^

OK, so this example uses another TOOD keyword, which I haven't had before. I understand that your example also works without introducing a new state, but I'm not yet sure what TODO states I need to use this feature most efficiently. See below for a more specific question about that.

SCHEDULED:<2011-11-21 Mon +1w>
:LOGBOOK:
- State "DONE"       from "STARTED"    [2011-11-19 Sat 10:27]

If I understand correctly, this mainly follows the habit tracking documented on the info page "Tracking your habits" – right?

CLOCK: [2011-11-19 Sat 10:25]--[2011-11-19 Sat 10:27] =>   0:02
CLOCK: [2011-11-19 Sat 09:28]--[2011-11-19 Sat 10:27] =>   0:59
:END:
:PROPERTIES:
:Effort: 1:00
:LAST_REPEAT: [2011-11-19 Sat 10:27]
:END:
Limit work to 60 minutes per week
Let it repeat for next week

where the task repeats at some interval (weekly since you want to work
up to 1 hour per week on this task).  When you clock in the task the
modeline shows your current clocked minutes on the task _since your last
repeat_.

OK, that's basically what I wanted to achieve, and it's very nice that the clocked minutes are also shown in a warning face here when I exceed the limit.

Set your Effort property to the limit you want for the task for the
interval and set your repeat to the size of your interval (1 hour per
week in this case)

So when you reach the limit of 1 hour (in this case) you mark the task
DONE which stops the clock and rescheduled the task to the next repeat
date.

More realistically I won't do that after one hour, but continue working on that task (with a guilty conscience), and then mark it DONE around the end of the week ;-)

OK, I see that marking such a task as DONE does not actually leave it in the DONE state but takes it back to the first TODO state. So far I had the TODO sequence "TODO DELEGATED | DONE CANCELLED" and tried to extend it to "TODO DELEGATED STARTED | DONE CANCELLED", but that would take my repeating task back to "TODO" instead of "STARTED" after marking it DONE. I think a separate sequence of states would make more sense; maybe "STARTED | RESTARTED"?

When you clock the task in again the modeline shows 0:00 and counts up
to the effort limit again.

Cheers,

Christoph

--