pin...@iro.umontreal.ca (François Pinard) writes:

> I often cut a list item (or a hierarchy of list items) to reinsert it
> into another heading which I know contains only list items.  All the
> headings are collapsed, so what I usually do is position the cursor at
> the beginning of the /next/ heading and yank the list item there, this
> has the effect of inserting it at the end of the previous heading, no
> need to open it.

Mhh, why don't you just insert a newline above the next heading and yank
then?

> (I'm using clean mode, as probably everybody does!)

No.

> However, by mistake, it happens that the cursor is on the only visible
> bullet star of the next heading  instead of really being at the start
> of the line.

I wonder how you end up "between two stars" in the first place...
With `org-special-ctrl-a/e' t, I would not expect this to be an issue.
But as indicated above, I don't use clean mode aka org-indent-mode.

> Of course, it is my error.  Yet, Org mode could be friendlier, here!

Lets say 'safer'. But while "..." indicating folded content at the end
of a line is an integral part of org, things like org-hide-leading-stars
seemed to me always to be purely cosmetic. Nice to have, but if one
really edits org files by hand (it is all plain text, right),
potentially a problem.

Memnon