>> On Wed, 11 Apr 2012 09:38:46 -0400, Eric Schulte <eric.schu...@gmx.com>
>> wrote:

   > Hi Uwe,
   > Uwe Brauer <o...@mat.ucm.es> writes:
   >>

   > OK, for my own edification I had changed the message body from
   > (I'm hoping these are sufficiently quoted to survive mailing)

   > ,----[original]
   > |

   > |   text alternative...
   > |
   > | html alternative... |

   > |   images for html...
   > `----

   > ,----[revised (and more broken in TB)]
   > |

   > |   text alternative...
   > |

   > |   html alternative...
   > |   images for html...
   > |

   > `----

   > which wraps the html and images into a multipart/related type.

   > Why is this later structure illegal?  Are nested multi type parts not
   > allowed?  Also, it seems that everything I've tried works in gnus and in
   > most web user agents.  Is thunderbird simply a stickler for the letter
   > of the RFC law?

I cannot answer this. However I rechecked everything and the
issue is the following.

   >> Which brings me to the good news. After I wrote to you
   >> I received a message from the TB developers which
   >> emphasised that, besides the information I have gave
   >> you, the main point is the header, which should be

   >> and the thunderbird developers insist that this is the
   >> RFC 2387 standard.
   >>
   >> Gnus actually generate  via the mml-generate-mime function
   >> the header
   >> which is wrong.
   >>

   > OK, I've just reverted my change, but I'm keeping the change of image
   > disposition to "inline".

I own you an apology!  If I leave mml-generate-mime
untouched, that is I neither use my modification nor do I
use  use Lars new code, but  I use your *new* code then the
generated and sent message is displayed *correctly* in
thunderbird.

The resulting  message contains

Instead of

As it would in my case, but it seems that thunderbird is OK
with that.

The reason I wrote you earlier that your changes made things
worse was that I did make a mistake in my modification of
mml-generate-mime. I also thought I checked your code with
the old mml function but  for some reason the old version was
not used even after a restart.

Sorry for the trouble!

Uwe