Hi Neil,

Neil Smithline <emacs-orgm...@neilsmithline.com> writes:

> I've run into this problem dealing with the weak presentation of Org Mode
> files on Github. Github uses the Ruby gem org-ruby
> (https://github.com/bdewey/org-ruby) to convert .org files to HTML. I've
> added a feature or two to org-ruby but really feel that trying to
> completely re-implement Org Mode in a Ruby gem is a losing battle.

What will help org-ruby (and github's support of org files) is to
stabilize the syntax of .org files as much as possible.  We are
currently working in this direction.

org-ruby's main job is to convert .org files into HTML or textile files.

> If I understand the project correctly, a working iOrg could be used to
> support Github's rendering of .org files. Github could just drop the use of
> org-ruby and use iOrg as an external converter for formatting .org files.

As I understand it, iOrg will convert .org files to HTML using the
internal Org's HTML exporter.  I don't see how github could use such
a setup to produce HTML files from Org (unless github runs an Emacs
batch query for exporting HTML... which seems very unlikely - and
wrong by design anyway.

Let's see how iOrg evolves but let's stick to the bugpile for now.

If the list can specifically help about org-ruby issues, let's help!

All best,

> PS: And the answer is "Yes. I am aware that vehemently suggesting a project
> is equivalent to offering to help with it." :-D

Good :)

--
 Bastien