Bastien writes:
> There is something I don't understand here: the version *is* in
> org-7.9.tar.gz and org-7.9.zip with lisp/org-version.el.

Yes, that is for when you would want to run uncompiled from the unpacked
tarball.

> I assumed that, in the absence of git, `make' would rely on this.

No.  Make always re-makes these targets and in the absence of getting a
version from git or from configuration it falls back to "N/A".  I'll add
a file to the tarball that just defines these two variables and include
that when absolutely no version is defined.  If these variables are
still undefined I continue to fall back to "N/A".  The version from a
tarball can't change, so it's OK to fix it like that I think.

Regards,
Achim.