I should add that Tyree's idea is what I was looking for originally
(changing the face to the text font at least fixed readability).

Ideally, instead of jumping to the footnote section, it would be
collapsible / expandable, much like headings.

Right now having a dedicated footnote section is better than having the
footnote embedded in the body of the text as a giant distracting
parenthesis. That is the worst functionality among the options here.