I have a closely related question:

I use multiple devices, so I need to have an IMAP server that really is
an IMAP server, instead of something the just serves up messages to be
downloaded.  I have multiple folders, and I read messages from different
clients.

I haven't been able to figure out an org-mode compatible mail reader
that doesn't seem to want me to pull down all the messages to a local
server.  [I'm ok if it doesn't read nntp.]

Thunderbird, which I have been using, doesn't support links to messages.
 OTOH, it has the best IMAP client I have found, so I keep coming back
to it.

Gnus:  I regret to say that despite having tried it at least three
times, I have never managed to wrap my head around the gnus doctrine
that mail is just news, so I cannot use it.

VM:  I used to use VM, but at least when I was using it, it demanded
local storage, and did not include a full-fledged IMAP client.

any other suggestions?

Maybe this could go onto worg....