Jambunathan K <kjambunat...@gmail.com> writes:

> How many people are going to read HTML code?  [...]  In short, the
> concern you have raised is more cosmetic than functional.

Replying to the org-mode mailing list.  I did not closely followed the
discussion, so maybe I'm missing the point.

A lot of people are not going to read HTML, but it does not mean that
nobody does.  Many people still read HTML code, for a variety of
reasons.  I find HTML code should stay as legible as possible.

As long as legibility is at stake, character entities are a pain in the
neck (or anywhere else of your choice along the spine!).  So, if the
charset of the HTML can be ascertained, usually within the headers, the
remainder of the HTML file should take full advantage of it, and limit
character entities as much as possible.

Character set entities are meaningful when the HTML file does not
declare a charset.  They should be avoided otherwise, in my opinion.

François