Sorry, I'm stumbling badly here. I now realize the org-footnote-auto-label
needs to be set to avoid the default (t) behavior of doing numbered
footnotes ( [fn:1] ) after C-c C-x f auto-inserts. Good. But where do the
in-buffer settings go? I assume they go in the .org file you're currently
working in? At the top maybe?