Nicolas,

>> \[ x = y
>>          +1 \]
>>
>> \[ x = y
>>          + 1 \]
>
> This is to be expected. In the second case, the second line defines
> a list item, which has precedence over any LaTeX snippet.

Okay, I realised it was switching to the itemise environment, but I
didn't know it took precedence over the latex environment.

>> \[ x = \begin{array}{cc}
>>       y & u \\
>>       z & v
>> \end{array} \]
>>
>> \[ x =
>>    \begin{array}{cc}
>>       y & u \\
>>       z & v
>>    \end{array} \]
>
> I think this is because of a limitation on the number of lines a LaTeX
> snippet can span across (IIRC, 3 is the maximum).

Maybe, but I see the same problem with the following two line example

\[ x =
   \begin{array}{cc} z & v  \end{array} \]

> In both cases, I suggest to use LaTeX environments instead:
>
>   \begin{equation*}
>   x = y
>   + 1
>   \end{equation*}

Yes, I tried that, but as I understand it I need to
\usepackage{amsmath} to access the latex equation* environment.  But
then I get an error about "Command \iint already defined."  I tried
the solution described at
http://www.tex.ac.uk/cgi-bin/texfaq2html?label=alreadydef, but it
didn't work for me.

Anyway, never mind, these are all quite trivial points.

Thanks very much for your help,

Paul