It turns out that org mode does force directionality in its buffers. I
found in org.el the line

5308  (setq bidi-paragraph-direction 'left-to-right)

However, bidi-paragraph-direction is always buffer local when set. That
explains why switching to other mode does not help.

The solution is to set bidi-paragraph-direction to nil in org buffers with
mixed LTR and RTL texts. This, however, might change the alignment of some
headings to right-aligned. But the bidi markers now work just fine, so it's
just a matter of placing them wisely.

I appreciate the time you took for this little discussion. It helped me get
a clearer picture of the inner workings of bidi and emacs.

Kind regards,

Manuel GJT

--
Manuel GJT