* Tomas Grigera <tgrig...@gmail.com> wrote:

> To me, a rather reliable way (without version control) has been unison.
>  Easy to set up and learn, fast.  Only problem is that it doesn't deal well
> (actually, at all) with merges (i.e. a file that has been modified in both
> computers).

I am using Unison File Synchronizer in a cron-job[1] to sync my
Org-mode files with a 24/7-server in the cloud (my *own* server).
All computers are being synced with this server.

This works as long as I do not forget to save all and exit Emacs
before I leave/shut down/hibernate my machines. This way, I do
prevent two changes happening on different machines (sync conflict).

Unison does not offer any merge functionality. However, you can
easily use third party tools to handle merge conflicts (Emacs, vim,
...).

> But I agree with Brian that in the long run, though harder to learn, git is
> a charm.

Totally agree.

I am using gitwatch[2] to automatically commit any changes in my
org-mode files. However, I do this only on my main working machine
and ignore git information when syncing with Unison (multiple
reasons, complicated to explain).

In case you want to manage all of your Org-mode files with git (in
contrast to me), you can also choose to auto-push/pull those git
commits to other machines as well. This should even merge the most
simple conflicts without user interaction. I do not have experience
with this method by myself. There are several interesting solution
candidates out there: Sparkle Share and several script on github.

HTH

  1. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Crond
  2. https://github.com/nevik/gitwatch
--
mail|git|SVN|photos|postings|SMS|phonecalls|RSS|CSV|XML to Org-mode:

https://github.com/novoid/extract_pdf_annotations_to_orgmode + more on github