On Wed, Sep 4, 2013 at 10:00 AM, Suvayu Ali <fatkasuvayu+li...@gmail.com>wrote:

> On Wed, Sep 04, 2013 at 07:27:01AM +0200, Johannes Rainer wrote:
> > hi all!
> >
> > I have some pretty calculation intense R code in a code block and when I
> > execute the code (C-c C-c) my emacs freezes and waits for the code to
> > finish. Is there a way to evaluate the code asynchronously, so that I
> could
> > edit the file (obviously not the code block itself) while the code is
> being
> > evaluated?
>
> Not sure that is a possibility yet.  For the moment you could try
> asynchronous export as a workaround.
>
> yes, I will do that. I just realized that I have to set
ess-ask-for-ess-directory to nil, otherwise the async export hangs because
it tries to ask where to start R.

> That said, I am curious why you are knowingly tying a computationally
> intensive (possibly buggy, during development i.e.) process with your
> editor.  I have to work on some fairly computationally intensive
> analysis with Python.  I always keep them in separate modules and
> scripts run from the shell.
>
> well, I'm using emacs/org for my data analyses in R. I thus combine
documentation (i.e. the conclusions drawn from e.g. plots created in R) and
the R code to perform the analysis in my org file. Since I'm analysing high
throughput data some tasks to handle the data are quite time consuming.

cheers, jo

> Hope this helps,
>
> --
> Suvayu

Johannes Rainer, PhD
Applied Bioinformatics Group,
Division Molecular Pathophysiology,
Biocenter, Medical University Innsbruck,
Innrain 80/82 II, 6020 Innsbruck, Austria
and
Tyrolean Cancer Research Institute
Innrain 66, 6020 Innsbruck, Austria

Tel.:     +43 (0)512 9003 70961