J> NOTE: If someone knows how to accommodate short captions (so that an
J> that an Index/TOC could be generated from within LibreOffice based on
J> it, please let me know.)

The openDocument standard says in 7.4.1

Use Caption
Each object contained in a text document has a name. In addition, images also
have a caption.
The image caption or the image name can be gathered for the index of
illustrations.

<define name="text-illustration-index-source-attrs" combine="interleave">
<optional>
<attribute name="text:use-caption" a:defaultValue="true">
<ref name="boolean"/>
</attribute>
</optional>
</define>

Looks to me like one should have #+NAME and #+CAPTION in the org file,
I'd consider the former a candidate for the short caption.

HTH,

Martin