hmm.. I don't know if it was a bug, I ran the code on my system before
sending it, and it worked for me ;) I am glad you figured it out on your
system.

you could avoid the double if statements like this:

(defun my-exp-headings-to-markdown ()
  "Export each top-level heading to markdown."
  (interactive)
  (org-map-entries
   (lambda ()
     (let ((level (nth 1 (org-heading-components)))
           (title (nth 4 (org-heading-components))))
       (when (= level 1)
         (org-entry-put (point) "EXPORT_FILE_NAME" title)
         (org-md-export-to-markdown nil 1 nil)))))
   nil nil))

The when macro is like an if macro, with no else body.

John

John Kitchin
Associate Professor
Doherty Hall A207F