Joseph Vidal-Rosset <joseph.vidal.ros...@gmail.com> writes:

> 2014/1/8 Nick Dokos <ndo...@gmail.com>
>
>     > Hi Nick,  I apolgize, it's difficult for me to be more complete that I
> was.
>
>     You are kidding, right?
>
> Hi Nick,
>
> No, I did not kidding, unfortunately.
>
> I'm replying with gmail, and I am afraid I will give up the project to use
> Gnus. From yesterday evening, suddenly I have on my
> two computers an error message with gnus:
>
> 'smtp-server'  not defined.

I saw your other message where FLIM (whatever that is) is identified as
the culprit. One piece of advice: do not install random software
packages without thorough testing. The best way to test is with a
minimal .emacs that just loads the package under test, start a new emacs
with it (emacs -q -l /path/to/min.emacs) and test the heck out of it
before admitting it into the set of trusted packages that you load in
your everyday emacs session. I routinely have three emacs sessions
going: my everyday emacs, a separate one that I use as an IRC client
(running erc) and a third short-lived one for tests.  My everyday emacs
runs for weeks at a time; the irc emacs gets restarted every time I
switch networks (I wish erc would maintain the connections, but they get
dropped); the short-lived one(s) lasts from a few minutes to a few
hours.

> I've of course tried to solve this new problem, with help of archives
> of mailing lists given by Google, all my tentative are at the moment
> unsuccessful...
>
> It's both boring and irritating.
>
> The least that I expect from an email client is to work
> correctly. Gnus worked, for sending and receiving emails, and suddenly
> without clear reason, it does not work no more... It is not stable
> because I have not changed .gnus.el ...

... but you installed FLIM, right? That installed its own smtpmail.el
which apparently you picked up in preference to the one that came with
emacs. This is a fairly common mistake.

> I am sorry to have bothered you for nothing, but I am tired and
> disappointed by emailing via emacs. I loose more time in trying to
> configure gnus for my gmail account than in reading and replying to my
> emails...
>
> I will going to try to improve my use of org-mode, but Gnus is not made for
> me...

Bastien's channeling of Beckett was the perfect answer here, but as
usual I have a few more comments :-)

Gnus is indeed peculiar: I switched to it about 8 months ago and I'm
still not quite comfortable with it. However, although I occasionally
use gmail and thunderbird, I'll take an emacs-based mail client over
them every time: I used mh-e for many years and switched to gnus only
because I wanted an imap server at home - afaik, mh-e (and nmh underneath
it) just did not support that use case.

As a general principle however, you need to decouple your attempts to
use gnus from your attempts to use org. I recently advised somebody not
to use all the blades of the org swiss-army knife at the same time.
Trying to do that in combination with gnus is turning the knife into a
chainsaw (swiss-army chainsaw anyone?)

Do them one at a time: it may seem slow and inefficient to you now, but
it is much more efficient than the alternative - damhikt...

Nick