Hi Rasmus,

On Wed, Feb 5, 2014 at 2:44 PM, Rasmus <ras...@gmx.us> wrote:

> >> Org already has semantic quote characters, namely '"' and "'".
> >
> > Right: I'm talking about TeX and not org-mode there. The semantic way to
> > say "this is quoted" is csquotes and \enquote.
>
> But this is the Org-ML.  I assume you're interested in using Org for
> producing your tex files?

Yes, that is the only thing I am doing. I am trying to get org's idea of
semantic quoting to map to LaTeX's idea of semantic quoting. As a result I
also don't understand why anyone cares what the \enquote{whatever} looks
like in the TeX file. Personally I only care what it looks like in Org.

This is also why I think the macro solution is bad. Org has semantic
quotes. It's just not doing a good job of convincing my LaTeX stack that it
has semantic quotes.

> I was not able to produce non-working files via Org either. . .  But I
> didn't test from emacs -q.

The exported TeX source appears to be functionally equivalent to the
snippet you pasted, so the issue is probably in the TeX step.

thanks again,
lvh