> I'm finding that Org would work well as a literate programming system
> for C++, if the code block starts and ends didn't get in the way so much
> during frequent switching between code and prose.
>
>  > I use the following to make code block syntax less intrusive
>
> Thanks, that was helpful, didn't know about compose-region.
> Still, it does not reduce the number of lines used, so a short list of
> declarations interspersed with comments quickly ends up taking a lot of
> vertical space.   When coding it helps to be able to see many things at
> once, and having many extra lines (even mostly-blank ones) makes that
> difficult.

I agree that maximizing code per vertical space is important.  However,
keeping Org-mode parseable and editable is also important.  How about
the following alternative to my previous suggestion, which will
eliminate the extra lines.

    (defun prettier-org-code-blocks ()
      (interactive)
      (font-lock-add-keywords nil
           (0 (progn (compose-region (match-beginning 1) (match-end 1) "")
                     nil)))
           (0 (progn (compose-region (match-beginning 1) (match-end 1) "")
                     nil))))))

Best,

--
Eric Schulte