+1 for Ista. Use both.

 I tend to write a lot of R code for reading in data, and then merging
it with other sources and cleaning it. For my purposes, I usually do
those activities in a .R file (so using ESS in Emacs), and output a
'tidy' data.frame ready for analysis. Then I might use org-mode to
write a report using the data prepared in the .R script(s).

Related, if you haven't checked out knitr, you might look at that too.
It allows you to create reports in markdown and embed R code, similar
to org-mode. Somewhere I have support for this in ESS, but it's been a
while since I looked at it. Slidify is another cool package, using
markdown to create HTML slides.