Nicolas Goaziou wrote:
> Sebastien Vauban writes:
>
>> Isn't that somehow duplicate with `org-indent-mode' (which I don't
>> enable either)?
>
> `org-indent-mode' sets `org-adapt-indentation' to nil _and_ indents
> virtually (no modification to the document) body as if
> `org-adapt-indentation' wasn't nil.
>
> There's no duplication here.

Very clear, thank you.

>> Would I want to let the indentation following the level of the entries,
>> I'm not sure what I'd have to do:
>>
>> - (org-indent-mode), and/or
>> - (setq org-adapt-indentation t)?
>
> I cannot decide for you. But editing will certainly be snappier without
> `org-indent-mode' active.

I don't want neither physical nor virtual adaptation of the
indentation. My question was for the purpose of understanding more.

>> [1] And that simplifies A LOT file diffs...
>>
>>     Hence, another question: shouldn't the default be reversed (no
>>     adaption of indentation, by default)?
>
> I like the current default. However I don't mind changing it if it is
> very uncommon among users to set it to a non-nil value.

For me, choosing one over the other is a question of taste, and can't be
debated as such. Here, though, as adapting the indentation complexifies
all diffs between different versions of the file, yes, I'd choose for
the "simpler" road as the default for the Org beginners.

Best regards,
  Seb

--
Sebastien Vauban