I'm using the dailies from ELPA, upgrading occasionally.
Works well in the "normal" current Emacs from http://emacsformacosx.com/

I'd have recommended Aquamacs until recently, but the builds from link
above are both more current and stable generally.

For LaTeX, there are many ways to get it such as homebrew; I am quite
happy with MacTeX from https://tug.org/mactex/.

Note that you might have to configure paths for LaTeX in Emacs, if you
start Emacs from the GUI, since changing GUI session environment on
Macs is less than obvious.

Alternatively:

• Configure your path in your user's launchd config so that the whole
session has LaTeX in your path
• Modify your shell environment and just launch Emacs from the shell.
The binary would then be /Applications/Emacs.app/Contents/MacOS/Emacs

Cheers, Bernd

--
Senior Software Engineer

Xaidat GmbH