On 2015-07-27, at 19:51, Richard Lawrence <richard.lawre...@berkeley.edu> wrote:

> Hi Marcin,
>
> Marcin Borkowski <mb...@mbork.pl> writes:
>
>> as I mentioned, I'm writing a simple exporter.  However, I stumbled on
>> something apparently simple.  How to get the current list level within
>> org-whatever-item transcoder?
>
> I ran into this problem once; the solution I found was to just walk up
> the AST via org-export-get-parent until you run out of parents.
>
> Something like this should work (untested, and probably needs to be
> tweaked, as my Elisp is a little rusty):
>
> (defun find-depth (element)
>   "Find the depth of a (list) element during export."
>   (let ((parent (org-export-get-parent element)))
>      (case (org-element-type parent)
>        ('item (1+ (find-depth parent)))
>        ('plain-list (find-depth (org-export-get-parent parent)))
>        (t 1))))
>
> Hope that helps!

Sure it does!  I'm ashamed I didn't think about this myself.  Here's my
take (I assume that ITEM is a plain-list item):

(defun org-item-get-level (item)
  "Get the level of ITEM, which should be an item in a plain
list.  Levels are indexed from 0."
  (let ((pparent (org-element-property :parent (org-element-property :parent
item))))
    (if (eq (org-element-type pparent)
            'item)
        (1+ (org-item-get-level pparent))
      0)))

It is a bit less general (and probably a bit faster), but for
a plain-list item transcoder the generality doesn't matter.

> Best,
> Richard

Best,

--