Pete Forman <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

> My mistake.  I had been confusing "login" and "interactive".  A login
> shell will read .profile or similar prior to reading commands which is
> what was worrying me.  An interactive, non-login shell generally will
> not read any file.  It may read .bashrc, .cshrc or .kshrc depending on
> a number of factors.

Well, rcp.el offers connecting via telnet, and AFAIK, all shells
started that way are login shells.  And even with the other (rsh)
connection method, the shells will be login shells.

Awful things are wont to happen if the init scripts of that shell have
changed the meaning of, say, `cd' or `ls'.  But that's why I say
``exec /bin/sh'' first thing which gives me an interactive non-login
shell.  And then I use explicit path names for invoking `ls'.

kai
--
Life is hard and then you die.