I got several bug reports about rcp.el failing to see that a target
file wasn't writable.  What do you think is the best approach?

(1) Check whether copy/rename will succeed, first.  Barf if not, else
    do it.

(2) Just do stuff, but check for errors in each step.

(3) Check first, then check again after each step.

We want sufficient error checking, but I think we don't want to be too
paranoid, either.  Hm.

After we have chosen one of the above, we need to find a way to
implement it.

For (1), would it be sufficient to do the following?  Check that the
source file exists and is readable.  If the target file already
exists, check that it is writable.  If the target file doesn't exist,
check that the target directory is writable.

Or do we also want to check for available disk space and stuff?

kai
--
~/.signature: No such file or directory