[EMAIL PROTECTED] (Kai Großjohann) writes:

> Andi Hechtbauer <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:
>
> > # a prob with files in rc that sometimes gives you an "undefined"
> >   error... (I gather that this one's a known issue, so I don't send a
> >   backtrace - just tell me, if I should)
>
> Hm?  I don't recall that this is a known issue, so please don't hold
> back your backtraces...

Not "undefined" as I worngly stated above, but rather:
(wrong-type-argument stringp nil)
It seems to happen iff the file's in Version Control (cvs here),
and not all of the time.

Here you are:
Signaling: (wrong-type-argument stringp nil)
  string-to-number(nil)
  vc-find-cvs-master("/r@scp:philemon@top:/data/guestbook/bin/" "checkGB.pl")
  #[(s) ":„\n        \n\"‡Å@        \n#Æ!…1      Ç!˜ƒ*È\f!È!š?…1ÉÊAB\")‡"
[s dirname basename trial file format file-exists-p file-name-directory
file-attributes throw found] 4](vc-find-cvs-master)
  mapcar(#[(s) ":„\n \n\"‡Å@        \n#Æ!…1      Ç!˜ƒ*È\f!È!š?…1ÉÊAB\")‡"
[s dirname basename trial file format file-exists-p file-name-directory
file-attributes throw found] 4] (("%sRCS/%s,v" . RCS) ("%s%s,v" . RCS) ("%sRCS/%s" .
RCS) ("%sSCCS/s.%s" . SCCS) ("%ss.%s" . SCCS) vc-find-cvs-master
vc-search-sccs-project-dir))
  byte-code("ÁÂ\"ˆÃ‡" [vc-master-templates mapcar #[(s) ":„\n       \n\"‡Å@
 \n#Æ!…1      Ç!˜ƒ*È\f!È!š?…1ÉÊAB\")‡" [s dirname basename trial file format
file-exists-p file-name-directory file-attributes throw found] 4] nil] 3)
  vc-registered("/r@scp:philemon@top:/data/guestbook/bin/checkGB.pl")
  apply(vc-registered "/r@scp:philemon@top:/data/guestbook/bin/checkGB.pl")
  (let ((inhibit-file-name-handlers ...) (inhibit-file-name-operation operation))
(apply operation args))
  rcp-run-real-handler(vc-registered
("/r@scp:philemon@top:/data/guestbook/bin/checkGB.pl"))
  (if fn (apply (cdr fn) args) (rcp-run-real-handler operation args))
  (let ((fn ...)) (if fn (apply ... args) (rcp-run-real-handler operation args)))
  rcp-file-name-handler(vc-registered
"/r@scp:philemon@top:/data/guestbook/bin/checkGB.pl")
  vc-registered("/r@scp:philemon@top:/data/guestbook/bin/checkGB.pl")
  vc-backend("/r@scp:philemon@top:/data/guestbook/bin/checkGB.pl")
  vc-find-file-hook()
  run-hooks(find-file-hooks)
  after-find-file(nil t)
  find-file-noselect-1(#<buffer checkGB.pl>
"/r@scp:philemon@top:/data/guestbook/bin/checkGB.pl" nil nil
"/r@scp:philemon@top:/data/guestbook/bin/checkGB.pl" (215895 -1))
  find-file-noselect("/r@scp:top:/data/guestbook/bin/checkGB.pl")
  find-file("/r@scp:top:/data/guestbook/bin/checkGB.pl")
* call-interactively(find-file)

> > # rcp.el seems to do a mv foo foo~ on the target file when/before
> >   saving, so it tends to forget filemodes like executable bits et al.
>
> This depends on backup-by-copying (and other similar variables), I
> guess.  Does it?  Do you think it is sufficient to require the user to
> set these variables correctly?

will check on that one. How would one enable backup-by-copying
just for rcp.el'd files?

> > # Sometimes when working over real slow/lossy lines, rcp.el would
> >   just hang, sometimes only restarting emacs would help.
> >   (I didn't experience that last one myself, and $USER was not able
> >   to reproduce it.)
>
> Hm.  And C-g didn't work?  I confess that I haven't included a timeout
> mechanism everywhere, I only included timeouts where I thought they
> were needed most badly.  For some commands, I just expect them to
> finish.

I'll check again, but, as I said, I didn't even see this, and
my colleague wasn't able to reproduce it¹.

> Also, inline methods are reported to be slow on XEmacs -- is that the
> trouble you're seeing?

Nope. We just use pure fsf rms gnu emacs.

¹) - Maybe due to the "someone's looking" phenomenon. He actually
     called me to "stare at [his] screen, please!" in order to make
     the trouble go away.
     Some services you just can't offer online.

Regards,

--
Andi "could you stare at my screen, please?!" Hechtbauer  [EMAIL PROTECTED]
System Administration                         voice: +49 941 94 65 937