On 10 Oct 1999, Kai Großjohann <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
wrote:

> Daniel Pittman <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:
>
>> In my VC, the only place that actually calls (vc-user-login-name)
>> with a uid is:
>>
>> (defun vc-file-owner (file)
>>   ;; Return who owns FILE (user name, as a string).
>>
>> So, rather than spend a lot of effort putting in a hack that will not
>> work so well (I think) for the mapping, I will am writing an advice
>> for this function to make it behave sensibly and not try to map uid
>> => name for rcp files. Let 'ls' do all the hard work for us. :)
>
> I think this function already uses the uid if it can't find a name.

Dang. I shouldn't write mail so early on a Sunday. I expressed myself
badly.

What I intended to say was that I can (er, have) written a function that
makes vc-file-owner parse the output of 'ls -Ldl' to get the login name
of the user that owns the file.

With this in place there are no calls in VC (or anywhere else for that
matter) to 'user-login-name' with a parameter.

The only question left is what should 'vc-user-login-name' (with no
parameter) return when the current file is accessed by rcp?

I think that this should be the login name from the rcp path - that is
the same value as a 'co' will set on the working file.

I have not yet implemented that path and so will not attach a patch yet.
It is still a little while of work to make that finished and I should
like to test it somewhat tomorrow.

        Daniel

--
The future is always a fairy land to the young.
        -- George Augustus Sala