I have now done the complete switch regarding the communication
mechanism.  The function rcp-open-connection-rlogin has been removed,
as its functionality has been incorporated into
rcp-open-connection-rsh.

The function rcp-open-connection-rsh now looks for a password prompt
and asks the user if such a prompt has been seen.

ATTENTION: Most probably, the regexp in question needs to be
improved.  Please tell me about different kinds of password (or
passphrase) prompts that you have been seeing.

The whole communication now relies on the remote shell issuing a
prompt after every command.  Since the remote shell knows exactly when
the command is finished, I'm hoping that this makes the whole thing
more stable and will work with SSH2 despite its timing bug.

Since so much has changed, this one is likely to break.  Tell me about
it...

ftp://ls6-ftp.cs.uni-dortmund.de/pub/src/emacs/rcp.tar.gz

kai
--
Life is hard and then you die.