"Tom Roche" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

> > $ # Waiting 30s for `unset MAIL MAILCHECK MAILPATH'
> > $ $ PS1='
> > /////
> > '; PS2=''; PS3=''
> > # Waiting for remote `/bin/sh' to come up...
> > > >
> > /////
> > [[INCOMPLETE!]]> >
> > /////
> > [[INCOMPLETE!]]

Hm.  Try the following on the remote host:

/----
| $ PS1='
| > /////
| > '; PS2=''; PS3=''
|
| /////
\----

You enter the first three lines.  I'm guessing that for you, the empty
fourth line is missing.  (The trace doesn't include the empty line
before the `[[INCOMPLETE!]]' marker.)

Does it help to append `; echo foo' to the command line (after setting
PS3) so that there is an empty line before the string?

Maybe I should send two commands to the remote host, hoping that this
is not a problem and does not overflow the command buffer or something
like this.  Hm.  The second command could be an echo command to ensure
that the correct prompt appears.

kai
--
I like BOTH kinds of music.