Actually adding it to .cvsignore does not change the behavior of 'cvs
update', it will still download MANIFEST after 'make clean' has
deleted it.

sorry for so much trouble about a piece of trivia.  i'm perfectly
capable of understanding the makefile and reading up on CVS enough to
fully understand what's going on.  after I do that, i might suggest
something, but meantime just forget about this detail.