On 27 Aug 2000, Kai Großjohann <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
wrote:

> On 27 Aug 2000, Daniel Pittman wrote:
>
>> Alternately, couldn't you bootstrap the thing with some Unix
>> assumptions: /tmp (or the content of ${TEMP} or ${TMP}) will be a
>> directory in which we can create files, and that creating a file in
>> such a directory...
>
> I think we can be pretty sure that `/' does exist on most Unix
> systems.  But what can we do with that?  Run `test -e /' and this
> tells us whether the test command groks `-e'?  Hm.  Yes, this could
> work.

That was the basic plan. The issue with bootstrapping a 'does this file
exist' program is that you need to know the answers before you run the
test.

If we do know them, it gets that one bit easier. I think.

        Daniel

--
We had the experience but missed the meaning.
        --  T.S. Eliot, _The Dry Salvages_