On 04 Mar 2001, Kai Großjohann wrote:
> On 04 Mar 2001, Daniel Pittman wrote:
>
>> By default, I want this to have as much automatic configuration as
>> possible. So, my plan is that, by default, the method for encoding
>> and decoding files on the remote machine will be auto-detected.
>
> That's a good idea.  But I think you might not be able to
> automatically detect whether you should do inline or out of band
> transfer.

Hrm. Good point. I will have to think a little more on that...

> Well, with multi-hop methods you automatically do inline.

Which makes the auto-detection a lot more useful, I guess, especially
since one of the main points of the new design is to make connecting
multiple hops easy - so that ssh and su connections work. :)

> And this reminds me of the todo item which was sent to me by Michael
> Kifer: use out of band transfer for large files and inline transfer
> for small files.

Worth thinking about...  which I will do. I don't know how easy or
practical it will be, though. Is this really going to be /that/ much
more efficient?

        Daniel

--
I hold on to the blissful notion that the journey is worthwhile, and I
tip-toe across the chasm with a song and a smile.