On 04 Jun 2001, Stefan Monnier wrote:

> This is because VC does not understand that your local userid is
> really the same user as your remote userid and it then decides to
> make the buffer read-only even though you have write access to it
> (thinking you shouldn't modify a file that belongs to someone else).

This sounds like a plausible explanation.  Thanks, Stefan.  However, I
thought there was a workaround in Tramp; apparently it doesn't work
right.  Hm.  But it should easily be possible to test this by logging
in to a remote host with another user name and doing RCS there.  Yes,
that's what I will try.  But it might be some time.

kai
--
~/.signature: No such file or directory