On 5/16/2011 1:40 PM, R. David Murray wrote:
I've gone through the RFCs and done some additional googling,
and haven't been able to confirm the answer to this question: what
exactly is the syntax when a group is included in an address-list? (See
http://tools.ietf.org/html/rfc5322#section-3.4).  The question is, if
another address follows the group, are they separated from each other by
';' or by ';,'?  The ABNF seems to call for the latter, but I can't find
any example showing it.  I'm sure that I should accept both on input,
but I'd like to generate the correct form.  Does anyone have confirmation
or contradiction for my interpretation?

The only instance of group syntax that I have ever seen used is when a message has all Bcc: recipients, and the email client wants to stick something into the To: line to be pretty. I turned that off in my Mozilla email clients after seeing it. And so in that usage, the group was never used with other recipients.

However, I totally agree that if it were, that the ABNF would call for both ; and , as the ; is part of the group syntax, and the , is the separator syntax.

Would look rather stupid, though.

--
Glenn