Thanks for the feedback, Stephen.

Stephen J. Turnbull <step...@xemacs.org> wrote:

> Bill Janssen writes:
>
>  > Folks, I'm working on an implementation of RFC 5256 email threading,
>  > designed so that it could fit as a submodule in the "email" package, if
>  > such a think was ever seen to be useful.
>
> I don't know if it belongs there, although that's the obvious place.
> There are a other threaded message structures that aren't email (or
> netnews, which is obviously basically the same thing).  For example,
> issue trackers.
>
>  > * Should M be required to be "email.message.Message",
>
> -1
>
>  >   or perhaps some less restrictive type, say
>  >   "ThreadableMessageAPI"?  All that's strictly required is the
>  >   ability to retrieve the Message-ID, Subject, Date, References,
>  >   and In-Reply-To fields.
>
> If a variety of existing apps are to be able to plug this in, the API
> shouldn't be bound to email.message.Message.  +1 for duck-typing.

I think I'll finesse this issue with another (appropriate) layer of
indirection.

>  > * What operations should be possible on C?  Some that come to mind:
>  >
>  >   * retrieve_thread (M or message-id) => T
>  >   * add_message (M) => T
>  >   * add_messages (set of M) => None
>  >   * remove_message (M or message-id) => T (or None) ?
>
> * Reparent message (this will actually merge threads).
>
>  > * What's the interface for T?  It's a tree with possible dummy nodes, so
>  >   a tuple of messages plus nested tuples would do it.  What should the
>  >   nodes in the tree be?  Normalized (see RFC 5256) Message-IDs?
>
> In a Lisp implementation of http://www.jwz.org/doc/threading.html I'm
> working on, I just use symbols named by the message IDs themselves;

Yes, that works well for a static persistent representation.

Lisp message threading?  What's that in aid of, if you can say?

> I'm not familiar with the normalization yet.

RFC 5256 mentions it, but I had to go back to 2822 to figure it out.
Referencing section 3.6.4 of RFC 2822:  The IMAP guys seem to be implying
that the DQUOTEs in "no-fold-quote" and the "[" and "]" brackets in
"no-fold-literal" should be removed before comparing message-ids.

I'll send a note to the IMAP list to verify that.

Bill