This question will reveal that I am uncertain about the allocations and
deallocation of both packets and control messaging within the EMANE stack, in
terms of allocation and deallocation endpoints and conventions.

For the EMANE TimingAnalysis shim layer, when handling upstream and downstream
packets with control and upstream and downstream control only messages, these
messages are cloned before passing between upstream and downstream layers.

Why is this necessary for controls messages, and perhaps not for data packets
themselves.

I suppose the answer comes from knowing the allocation and deallocation
conventions used.

I want to create a shim that can fit between MAC and EMANE internal PHY layers,
and could equally move to above the MAC and perhaps below the EMANE PHY.