On 11/30/2011 10:41 AM, Peter Cock wrote:
On Wed, Nov 30, 2011 at 10:30 AM, Peter Rice<p...@ebi.ac.uk>  wrote:

BioLib is just swig wrappers around the existing Bio* interfaces and
code, so it will not help in this case if the projects are too divergent.

Could we set up a Bio* collection of data formats with examples and
note which projects can handle each one?

We do not need any one project to cover everything - we can reasonably
expect users to use some other project to interconvert formats if there are
gaps.

Good plan. I suggest we make a repository on github, perhaps
bio-data or something like that, under the recently created OBF
account, https://github.com/OBF

Peter R - do you have a GitHub account yet? If so we (me,
Chris Field, etc) can give you access to the OBF org account.

No ... rather a pain that EMBOSS got used. I've register under some other name: EMBOSSTEAM and created an EMBOSS project under it.

Looks like git import requires subversion for any automation. Preumably I need a fresh EMBOSS checkout from CVS and then commit everything by hand ... best done after the release 6.5.0 code freeze.

For licensing, where we are free to choose the licence, I would
like to go with something as liberal as possible to allow the
files to be used by any OSS project (or closed source project),
(e.g. Public Domain, CC0, MIT/BSD) rather than something
more principled but restricted like CC-BY or CC-BY-ND.

Public domain would be my choice - we don't want to cause conflicts if any data is imported into other projects (e.g. as test cases)

However, as we know from recent Debian packaging
discussion about test cases taken from UniProt, licensing
and copyright of samples from a database is complicated.
Here we must at least keep careful records about where
data came from.

For that reason we probably should fake all the files for the public database formats.

regards,

Peter Rice
EMBOSS team