GCCBOSC 2018: A Bioinformatics Community Conference

Call for Abstracts
Dates                   : June 25-30, 2018
Location                : Reed College, Portland, OR
GCCBOSC website         : https://gccbosc2018.sched.com/
BOSC website            : https://www.open-bio.org/wiki/BOSC_2018
Email BOSC organizers   : bosc@open-bio.orgmailto:o...@open-bio.org
BOSC announcements list :
Twitter                 : https://twitter.com/OBF_BOSC,  #GCCBOSC
Important Dates

• Abstract submission deadline: March 16, 2018
• Authors notified: April 10, 2018
• Travel Fellowships application deadline: April 15, 2017
• June 25-26, 2018: GCCBOSC 2018 Training
• June 27-28: GCCBOSC 2018 Talks
• June 29-30: GCCBOSC CollaborationFest

About BOSC

Since 2000, the yearly Bioinformatics Open Source Conference (BOSC) has
provided a forum for developers and users to interact and share research
results and ideas in open source bioinformatics. BOSC’s broad spectrum of
topics includes practical techniques for solving bioinformatics problems;
software development practices; standards and ontologies; approaches that
promote open science and sharing of data, results and software; and ways to
grow open source communities while promoting diversity within them.
Why is BOSC partnering with GCC in 2018?

In past years, BOSC has been part of the ISMB conference. Because of our
continuing focus on broadening and deepening the BOSC community, we've been
exploring ways to reach those in the bioinformatics community who aren’t
already part of the audience attracted by ISMB. As part of that exploration, we
have looked at other organizations and conferences that have been successful at
establishing a strong and growing community of participants, such as the Galaxy
Community Conference (GCC).
After much discussion and planning, we decided to hold BOSC in conjunction with
GCC in 2018. We hope that this will be an enjoyable and productive experience
for all participants, and we welcome your feedback before, during and after the
As always, BOSC 2018 will include two days of talks and posters, two
https://galaxyproject.org/events/gccbosc2018/keynotes/, a panel discussion,
Birds of a Feather, and more. BOSC sessions will run in parallel with GCC 2018
sessions, with some sessions shared. The two days of talks will be preceded by
two days of https://galaxyproject.org/events/gccbosc2018/training/ on topics
nominated by the community, and will be followed by a two-day CollaborationFest
that merges BOSC's Codefest and Galaxy's Developer and User Hackathon Days.
Abstract submission

We encourage you to submit one-page abstracts (due March 16) on any topic
relevant to open source bioinformatics or open science. After review, some
abstracts will be selected for lightning talks, longer talks, demos and/or
posters. Abstract submission instructions and a link to the EasyChair
submission portal can be found on
BOSC session topics include (but are not limited to):

• Open Science and Reproducible Research
• Open Biomedical Data
• Citizen/Participatory Science
• Standards and Interoperability
• Data Science
• Workflows
• Visualization
• Medical and Translational Bioinformatics
• Developer Tools and Libraries
• Bioinformatics Open Source Project Progress Reports

We look forward to receiving your abstract and meeting you at GCCBOSC 2018!

BOSC 2018 Organizing Committee: Nomi Harris (chair), Heather Wiencko
(co-chair), Brad Chapman (co-chair), Peter Cock, Christopher Fields, Bastian
Greshake, Karsten Hokamp, Hilmar Lapp, Monica Munoz-Torres
P.S. Don't forget to submit your BOSC abstract by March 16 at
https://www.open-bio.org/wiki/BOSC_Abstract_Submission! Please share this
announcement with your colleagues!

EMBOSS mailing list