On Dec 1, 2011, at 9:02 PM, andy pugh wrote:

> A chap on the forum is having trouble with his gantry. It basically
> seems to f-error as soon as he goes into world mode. If it doesn't
> f-error then, it does so when he tries to jog at any speed other that
> very slowly.
> He can jog as fast as he wants in joint mode.
>
> I have experimented with his config in a VM, and I see the same thing.
> Looking at the command and feedback in Halscope it appears that the
> stepgen just isn't making the steps.
>
> The very odd part is that replacing gantrykins with trivkins allows
> jogging at full speed, with no other changes...

Boy, I had this problem too.  But I had so many problems that I have now
forgotten what fixed this one, I should have written them down.  Would have
made for a nice troubleshooting FAQ.

What comes to mind (and I admit this may be off the mark)…

Here are a couple sections from my ini file.  Do you have (either/both)
DEFAULT_LINEAR_VELOCITY set in the DISPLAY section, and/or DEFAULT_VELOCITY and
DEFAULT_ACCELERATION set in the TRAJ section?

[DISPLAY]
DISPLAY = axis-custom
POSITION_OFFSET = RELATIVE
POSITION_FEEDBACK = ACTUAL
MAX_FEED_OVERRIDE = 2.000000
MAX_SPINDLE_OVERRIDE = 1.000000
MIN_SPINDLE_OVERRIDE = 0.500000
INTRO_GRAPHIC = emc2.gif
INTRO_TIME = 0.01
PROGRAM_PREFIX = /home/a2ms/emc2/nc_files
PYVCP = custom_pyvcp.xml
INCREMENTS = .1 .05 .01 .005 .001 .0005 .0001
POSITION_OFFSET = RELATIVE
POSITION_FEEDBACK = ACTUAL
DEFAULT_LINEAR_VELOCITY = 1.0
MAX_LINEAR_VELOCITY = 72
MIN_LINEAR_VELOCITY = 0.010000
EDITOR = gedit
GEOMETRY = xyz
DEFAULT_TO_WORLD_MODE = 1

[TRAJ]
AXES = 4
COORDINATES = X Y Z A
HOME = 0 0 0
LINEAR_UNITS = inch
ANGULAR_UNITS = degree
CYCLE_TIME = 0.010
#These affect jogging acceleration and not MDI acceleration (see EMC2 Doc Basic
Configuration)
DEFAULT_VELOCITY = 1.00
DEFAULT_ACCELERATION = 85
#These affect MDI and joint acceleration and not jogging in World mode
acceleration
#MAX_VELOCITY = 41.6666666667
MAX_VELOCITY = 55
MAX_ACCELERATION = 150