On Sunday 03 February 2013 13:06:52 andy pugh did opine:
Message additions Copyright Sunday 03 February 2013 by Gene Heskett

> On 3 February 2013 18:30, David Armstrong <dave...@outlook.com> wrote:
> > i now have a requirement to look at both grinding and cam turning on
> > my small lathe
>
> It is fairly straightforward as long as you can make the spindle turn
> slowly enough for the X axis to be able to follow it.
> You also, obviously, need a spindle encoder.

That likely will need a better, finer grained encoder than my 50 slotter
Andy, although I have considered trying to duplicate someone I saw on you-
tube a year or so doing the hex flats for a wrench with a cutting tool
mounted that way.  But it was rather obviously at the end of the spindles
available slow speed torque doing it with many near total stops of the
spindle.  The PID was obviously working serious overtime.

For grinding there wouldn't of course be anywhere near the torque
requirement that cutting needs. With my setup I can turn fairly steady at
10 rpm no load on my mini-lathe.  An interesting project for sure, David.

you-tube movies would be great, not only for that, but for the first time
its fired up too, hint hint. ;-)  I've seen a couple V12's running, but not
a radial.  That would be quite a statement about the artist IMO.

Cheers, Gene
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)
My views
<``Erik> 18,446,744,073,709,551,616 is a big number
I was taught to respect my elders, but its getting
harder and harder to find any...