On 4/9/2013 3:12 AM, Michael Haberler wrote:
> The new RTOS builds are close to producing packages as Seb has thankfully
> updated the buildbot to run RT-PREEMPT and Xenomai kernels, so it is time to
> turn what's coming next building on this work, and that is the unified binary
> build. The code for that is mostly done, what remains is adapting the build
> procedure to support several targets in one go. However, as an early branch
> is now winding through the buildbot too it might make sense to get everybody
> on the same page on what it provides, and how it is done.
>
> The goal of this work is:
>
>    make linuxcnc build for any supported kernel or thread flavor in one go,
> and have all that support in a single package; the actual type of threading
> used is
>    a startup option (subject to limitations of the running kernel, and what
> platforms it was built for).

This is exciting news. My thanks and tip of the hat to the small team of
developers who have suffered through the frustrating details to make
this happen.

In every field I've worked in, infrastructure projects like this one
were always a hard sell because most folks were most interested in the
superstructure---the applications and their interfaces---and naturally so.

It is always easier in retrospect to appreciate the importance of a
sound foundation or rue the lack of one.

Good on ya, mates.

Regards,
Kent