Hello,
First, let me say that I am pretty new to CNC. I use a 3 axis mill (like
this one <http://www.cnc-shop.ch/cnc6040.htm>) for 2 years now
And English is not my native language ( i'm french ) so I may have
misunderstood things. Please feel free to correct me if I'm wrong.

My current breakout board died because of a motor short-circuit. I was
running it with ubuntu 12.04, xenomai kernel and
"rtos-integration-preview3" branch.
So I decided to go for a more reliable, better quality hardware, and
bought a Mesa 5i25 / 7i76 and Gecko G203V drives.

 From what I understood, the 5i25 does what you call "hardware stepgen"
and the computer latency numbers are much less critical than "software
stepgen". right ?
So I installed a Debian Wheezy with the rt_preempt kernel ( I was fed up
with ubuntu 12.04 / xenomai that didn't let me install fglrx graphic
driver ).

So my main question is : what version of LinuxCNC can I install ?
- the stable 2.5.2 ? From what I understood, it is RTAI-only.
- master branch ?
- rtos-integration-preview3 ?
I am looking for something pretty stable, that can work with the
rt_preempt kernel.

Would I gain anything at using a xenomai or rtai kernel that have better
latency numbers ?

Even though I am not skilled coder at all, I have a look at devel
mailinglist regularly, and it looks like you, guys, are doing a
fantastic job.
The new version that will run with multiple rt kernels looks like a
major step forward. Shouldn't this upcoming version be granted a
"LinuxCNC 3.0" name ?

Thank you so much for your work.

Christophe

--