Gentlemen:

Andy has taken a large bite of work - tool handling in LinuxCNC - and has made
very quick progress on it. He deserves all the support from us he can get; we
do not have enough folks taking a larger-than-average bite and actually deliver
on it.

I also note that part of that work is conceptual - a data model for tool
information - and he has chosen particular tool to represent this design.

I think discussions of tool X versus tool Y are less than useful and
distracting to the cause, and I suggest to leave the choice to the folks doing
the actual work. If someone wants to contribute to the work, I am sure this
will be welcome, but personal itches and peeves are less than helpful here.

I also suggest to read the toolstore discussion notes I just posted; you will
find that the relevant semantics lies in the API, and how that is implemented
behind the API is an entirely different question, meaning any adamant SQL vs no
SQL discussion started here is completely meaningless for the goals we want to
achieve.

- Michael