> From what you wrote, I'm inferring that you are maybe thinking only of
> the x86 configs (which until recently has been the entire set).

It's all i know about -- I have only worked in the master branch of g.l.o:

  http://git.linuxcnc.org/gitweb?p=linuxcnc.git;a=summary

addressing Item 8 of the todo list for the future 2.6 release:

  http://wiki.linuxcnc.org/cgi-bin/wiki.pl?Todo-2.6

> In short, we adopted a basic structure of
> linuxcnc/configs/<architecture>/<platform>/<hardware_interface>/<machine_config>

sorry, i don't know who the 'we' is or where this repository is,
you didn't provide a link.

> The file I referred to notes that we hoped to see (post merge) some
> additional top level config branches. for example:
> linuxcnc/configs/x86/
> linuxcnc/configs/x86/PC
> linuxcnc/configs/x86/SIM

> My thought is that what you've done could fit into this nicely and then
> we'd have a consistent config structure that supports multiple
> architectures and platforms.

> Would you consider using this structure to hold the x86 configs you're
> reorganized?

It seems reasonable. I would imagine that there should be a level
of sim that works on any architecure to mitigate maintenance of
redundant configs:
  linuxcnc/configs/sim

The config-cleanup has already changed hundreds of files and
directories and has some residual broken configs -- but if the
2.6 release manager endorses for 2.6 I would work on this.

--
Dewey Garrett