Neil ,
their are big people as you call it using linuxcnc , and their are some of
us that cater for the Industrial user & big users . ( on a paid basis
unfortunatly  , i may add ) as reconfiguring or designing it's use for
specific machines is no mean task , and yes if we can we do add it back
into the mainstream ,

it's extremely difficult to cater for everyone

As ken states list your requirements and you never know .
it all depends on how far you wish to go , or how committed you are
to needing it .

On 25 December 2015 at 12:34, Kenneth Lerman <ler...@se-ltd.com> wrote:

> The "standard" answer is that if you want it to look more like a commercial
> CNC machine you can do that.
>
> It's simply a matter of programming. 😀
>
> I suggest that you start by defining the requirements. When I added o-words
> and named parameters to the interpreter I started by defining the
> requirements and discussed possible designs on the list and the wiki. That
> generated some useful feedback.
>
> It might be useful to define the requirements even if you are not a
> programmer. Who knows, you might find someone with similar requirements who
> can do the programming.
>
> Regards,
>
> Ken
>

> On Fri, Dec 25, 2015 at 7:22 AM, Neil Whelchel <neilwhelc...@gmail.com>
> wrote:
>
> > Hello Dave,
> > I simply can not afford to have a machine idle while I use an "app" on
> it.
> > If it is not running, it is not making money. If I am editing a program,
> > someone else is using the machine to make things. There are plenty of
> small
> > shops and "one man bands" that use a desktop computer for CAD/CAM, and
> > editing, then they upload the program to a machine to make the part. I,
> for
> > one do not like to be sitting in the middle of a workshop in an awkward
> > position to see a small display mounted to the side of a 5,000 pound
> > machine to write G-code, when I can do it from the comfort of my desk in
> my
> > office.
> > Also, we are right back to if I am running something like an "app" on the
> > machine, a keyboard and such is required, and I am not about to put a
> > keyboard on a machine, the coolant and chips would kill it before there
> is
> > time to use it for anything.
> > I can understand why some hobbyists would want to use the computer on
> their
> > machine to do other things than run the machine, but that is not the
> scope
> > I am talking about here. Most of the people I have running machines, just
> > want to load up the fixtures with stock, push the "go" button, and take a
> > part out. The only time that they end up doing anything else is when they
> > break something, or change to another part.
> > By adding "apps" to the machine, it is detracting from its simplicity of
> > use to the machine operator. More moving parts, more to break.
> > The big problem I see with the Linuxcnc project is that its maturation
> into
> > the real world is limited (more like blocked) by steering from hobbyists.
> > Under the hood Linuxcnc is a marvel of fantastic software engineering
> that
> > is far superior to many professional controllers, and if it was treated
> as
> [...]

The information contained in this message is confidential and is intended
for the addressee only. If you have received this message in error or there
are any problems please notify the originator immediately. The unauthorised
use, disclosure, copying or alteration of this message is strictly
forbidden. This mail and any attachments have been scanned for viruses
prior to leaving the RcTechnix network. RcTechnix will not be liable for
direct, special, indirect or consequential damages arising from alteration
of the contents of this message by a third party or as a result of any
virus being passed on.

RcTechnix reserves the right to monitor and record e-mail messages being
sent to and from this address for the purposes of investigating or
detecting any unauthorised use of its system and ensuring effective
operation.

(c) RcTechnix