On Sun, 13 Mar 2016, Chris Morley wrote:

> Date: Sun, 13 Mar 2016 20:30:17 +0000
> From: Chris Morley <chrisinnana...@hotmail.com>
> To: EMC DEV <emc-developers@lists.sourceforge.net>
> Subject: [Emc-developers] tandem PID steppers - 1 or 2 PIDs
>
> Looking to fix up tandem steppers in pncconf.
> This is using Mesa stepgens.
>
> Would it work fine to use one PID loop to control
> the two stepgens?
>
> basically ignore the second stepgens fb.
>
> Thanks
> Chris M

I dont think so, there is nothing to keep one stepgens position from slowly
drifting away from the others during acceleration due to slight differences in
position read and in velocity write times. These offsets would be small and
should cancel out but I dont get the warm fuzzys that long term position drift
is impossible with this approach.

Also this would prevent the (useful) addition of position offsets between
stepgens (like the Gantry comp does)

Peter Wallace
Mesa Electronics

(\__/)