From: Jon Elson <el...@pico-systems.com>
Sent: September 9, 2018 3:54 AM
To: EMC developers
Subject: Re: [Emc-developers] Breakout of HAL/ machinekits's HAL

On 09/08/2018 07:27 PM, Chris Morley wrote:
> Jon
>
> I'm not sure where they are at with replacing NML, but that is not what I was
> talking of.
>
> They have split the cnc stack from the HAL stack
>
> HAL is what I am talking of, which would include the realtime code I suppose.

Anybody, NOW, can download LinuxCNC and just USE the hal
components of their choice, without ever using the G-code
interpreter or trajectory planner.  It has always been that
way, although NOT well publicized.

But, yes, the LinuxCNC version of hal (I'm pretty sure) can
only run on a single core.  I can see some real issues to
solve when different components are running on different
cores concurrently. That could get quite complicated.
Running different real time threads on different cores ought
to be safe to do,  but I kind of doubt our rtapi can handle
that right now.

Jon