On Wednesday 06 March 2019 11:39:25 Alan Condit wrote:

> Gee Gene,
>
> I hope you don’t give up on the rpi just yet. I am just getting
> interested in trying something, although I was thinking of a rpi3b+
> with 7i76e.
>
> Alan

I have work for the machine, and while TomP's procedure from a PM sounds
good, it builds what I had a year ago with slow video. He is actually
moving a Sable printer with gpio pins on a pi3b.

I've had to play whackamole, restoring networking several times while
staying current with that jessie install, and frankly I'm tired of that,
and the raspi peoples total ignorance about motion control and its need
for rt-preempt kernels that actually work.

Doing bleeding edge stuff is fun, you've proved it can be done, but you
become painfully aware that the pi has a basically unfixable hardware
config, until you finally grok that you are the only one doing the
bleeding and you are the only one who can apply the needle and thread to
stop the bleeding.  So I'm going back to mainstream, where I can ask a
question and get knowledgable reply's.

It will take me a week or more, moving other stuff just to get to it will
take half a day, and likely trips to the trash trailer. My "junk box"
overfloweth.  There are parts of this lathe I'd like to sell to someone
doing a restoration, but no serious nibbles in 2 years means its going
to the landfill eventually just to get it out of my way. But not today
as its 20F out and snowing gently (yet, 3rd day, only a 4" total), so
that well insulated garage door is staying down until a warmer day
comes. Then its a tossup whether I finish the conversion back to a pc,
or take the probe part now in the 1/4" collet in the Sheldon to TLM and
put the threads on the end of a much shorter probe for that gizmo.
Probably the latter.

Cheers, Gene Heskett
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)